Thursday, February 27, 2014

Poor Mom, Fell

I got a call from my sister last night who lives in Virginia. She had just called mom and mom told her she had fallen and had a  cut on her arm and couldn't get it to stop and that she was pretty shaken up. She told my sister not to call me because she was afraid I'd take her to the hospital. This was about 9:40. I got my First Aid kit and hopped in the car and went to her house which is about 1/10 of a mile from our house. When I arrived I found her in the bathroom, shaking like a leaf with a HUGE
open wound that was bleeding. It was about 4 x 2 and the entire top layer of her tissue thin skin had been rubbed off where she landed on her right side. She also hurt her upper thigh and the middle part of her back was sore. She had put her heel on the cat's scratch board and it got her off balance and she just toppled over. I set her down in the kitchen and cleaned the wound with peroxide real good and then put antibacterial ointment on it and put a large bandage with some paper like gauze that is stretchy and I could make a pretty good pressure bandage. I sat her in the living room and put ice on her forearm as it was getting REALLY blue and puffy. Did that for 20 minutes. She was feeling much better and said if she had a cupcake and milk she would be even better! The 2 grand girls had come over earlier that afternoon to bring her mail and cupcakes.  It was a snow day so I had both girls. We went out to lunch, took Mom's taxes to our accountant then went to see her. Had a nice visit. They enjoyed playing with mom's kitty. Who, seems to love kids! I stayed there for about 2 hours to make sure she wasn't going to get shockey. I helped her get into her PJ's and I left at 11 pm.  She is going to be ONE SORE COOKIE this morning.
 
I am going to go over and change her bandage around 9:45 and make sure she is ok, then I am headed to a luncheon about an hour and half away. We have a group of about 13 ladies who were all friends in our graduating class of 66 and we meet about once a month. We bought a commercial microwave for the Woman's Shelter and one of the girls delivered it yesterday. We try and do something for the community.  We also give blankets and coats in the winter to the Homeless Shelter. It's not much but at least we can help a few.
 
Better hurry and get ready. Time is flying by. Will give an update on mom later this evening.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, no, Debbie, that is terrible about your Mom's fall. How fortunate you could treat her, though. I hope today was not too bad for her....such a shock!!
    How nice that your lunch group made that wonderful donation to the womens' shelter. I am sure it will be much appreciated. Angels!
    I'm still here laughing and enjoying all your sweet gifts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's bad - my Dad falls pretty regularly too. He's in a nearby nursing home now, but has really bad hips, but still tries to get up and do things. Gets days and nights mixed up. Hope your Mom is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to mention earlier that the beautiful quilt just glows. I love seeing your Mom tucked in to that lovely gift!!

    ReplyDelete